Re: level crossing near misses, was Re: problems at ringwood

David Guymer <davidmg@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
381C1E1E.1BE55DA1@optusnet.com.au">news:381C1E1E.1BE55DA1@optusnet.com.au...

> Dave Proctor wrote:
>
> > Peter Dwyer <peter.dwyer@qr.com.au> wrote in message
> > 7v2ltm$gdp2@inet6.citec.com.au">news:7v2ltm$gdp2@inet6.citec.com.au...
> >
> > > To stop people dying on crossings, it is necessary to remove them.
Nothing
> > > else works.
> >
> > How about replacing the flashing lights they have now with ordinary
traffic
> > lights, and fitting red-light cameras?
>
> Traffic lights don't work either. If your in Melbourne have a look at
Moreland
> Rd PCR at Moreland. Before they put in 3 Position signalling, (I think
this
> should still be there) it had booms, flashing light and traffic lights
which
> were synchronized with the side streets. The traffic lights always stayed
red
> for at least 45 seconds after the flashing lights stopped. A policeman
sitting
> in the old signalbox could have made a fortune every day of the week. Or
have a
> look at Springvale Rd PCR at Springvale. Lots of cars go straight through
the
> crossing regardless of the traffic lights.
> If people won't stop for flashing red lights then they aren't any more
likely to
> stop for steady the red lights of traffic lights.
> People who want to kill themselves can rarely be stopped.

But they will have an effect on those road users who do not see the flashing
lights as a direction to stop - and this can be backed up by the red-light
cameras, to provide a financial incentive to the all-but-suicidal.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au