Re: Pix of Hong Kong double deckers and Tuen Mun light rail cars

Hong Kong trams have been around for 100 or so years. They're now considering
modifying double deck buses to run on electricity (from overhead wires) and make the
pantograph flexible so that the bus can change lanes whilst the pantograph can be
"rotated" and still hang on to the overhead electric wires.

Tuen Mun Light Rail is known better as Light Rail Transit, a subdivision of
Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation (KCRC East). Built by Leighton (Australia) . Its
first generation carriages were Comeng cars (maybe chopper controlled). Second
generation cars are built by Goninan.

The biggest problem with it was the "open ticket system"--like what we have in
smaller Sydney stations, where you can walk in a out of the station platforms freely
without passing through ticket gates. This was an incentive for fare-evaders and
what they did was stand at the doors and when they spot a ticket inspector at the
approaching platform they'd just get off and wait for the next service.

Clive Mottram <mottram_cj@msn.com.au> wrote in message
7VUS3.8223$we.13316@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:7VUS3.8223$we.13316@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
For anyone interested, I have added some pix of Hong Kong double deck trams
taken in October 1999 and some pix of cars on the Tuen Mun light rail
system.  For those who remember, the Tuen Mun cars were built in Melboure,
so there is a strong Australian connection.

Viewable at:  www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/1602/Trams.htm and then
click on the Hon Kon or Tuen Mum links.

Cheers, Clive