Re: level crossing near misses, was Re: problems at ringwood

Dave Proctor wrote:

> Peter Dwyer <peter.dwyer@qr.com.au> wrote in message
> 7v2ltm$gdp2@inet6.citec.com.au">news:7v2ltm$gdp2@inet6.citec.com.au...
>
> > To stop people dying on crossings, it is necessary to remove them. Nothing
> > else works.
>
> How about replacing the flashing lights they have now with ordinary traffic
> lights, and fitting red-light cameras?

Traffic lights don't work either. If your in Melbourne have a look at Moreland
Rd PCR at Moreland. Before they put in 3 Position signalling, (I think this
should still be there) it had booms, flashing light and traffic lights which
were synchronized with the side streets. The traffic lights always stayed red
for at least 45 seconds after the flashing lights stopped. A policeman sitting
in the old signalbox could have made a fortune every day of the week. Or have a
look at Springvale Rd PCR at Springvale. Lots of cars go straight through the
crossing regardless of the traffic lights.
If people won't stop for flashing red lights then they aren't any more likely to
stop for steady the red lights of traffic lights.
People who want to kill themselves can rarely be stopped.
David G.