Re: QR going national?

Richo wrote:

<snip>

> It sounds like we've gone from people taking cheap shots at QR (narrow,
> isolated, goes nowhere) to having to defend Victoria.

    You were the one taking cheap shots at Victoria's railways. Personally I think
that QR is the best rail system in Australia.

> Diplomatically put to be sure - I prefer 'neglected and run down'

    Just because Victoria doesn't have a tilt train it doesn't mean that it's run
down.

> <snip>
>
> An exaggeration on my part - I suppose it still facinates me the number of
> people in Victoria and NSW (and definitely in SA) who go looking at old
> diesels on interstate freights -  but pay scant attention to the modern
> achievements of narrow gauge systems. On another part of the thread someone
> commented that WA is under-reported - another fascinating system where the
> nature of the business and the competition is well understood and
> appropriately matched.

    I was up in Queensland during July for the BB18 1/4 trip from Brisbane to Cairns
and I used up about half the film and video I had on QR diesels and electric trains
(I used about 3 rolls of 36 exposure on diesels and electric trains). If I don't
care about QR why would I use up this much film? I was in Western Australia severl
years ago and I tried to get photos of the modern rail system at every opportunity.
Most of the interstate freights in Victoria are hauled by NR or CLP/CLF class
locomotives, these aren't exactly old. The odd GM's are an interesting diversion and
most railfans don't know how much longer these locomotives are going to keep
appearing on these trains. Most of us are trying to get as many photos as we can
before they disappear. There are also the changing liveries at the moment as we go
from a government system to privatised systems. I have been trying to get as many
photos as I can of the older color schemes before they disappear.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au