Re: Metcard statistics. Does it even happen?

Paul Dwerryhouse <paul@xenu.ee.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
7tp4o5$ts$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7tp4o5$ts$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...
> "WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> writes:
>
> >Only because they have never had to do it. Why is it inconvenient to get
> >your wallet out as you are walking along, have your ticket out and ready
> >insert as you arrive at the validator, insert it, taking all of two
seconds,
> >retrieve your ticket and then place it back in your wallet whilst walking
> >onto the platform.
>
> Exactly because you have to do that. It's annoying. It's a mindless,
> repetitive task. If I wanted to do mindless, repetitive tasks, I'd be a
> person on an IT helpdesk.
>
> It involves getting your wallet out on a regular basis (something that I
> dislike doing, because it encourages snatch-thieves). And since MetCrud is
> so flimsy, it has to be kept in a wallet, or something else just as
> inconvenient. It's even worse if you have all of your hands full.
>
> Look, you can argue until you're blue in the face, but the vast majority
of
> people are never going to revalidate in situations where there's no-one
> watching, because its _pointless_.

No - you can argue the above until you are blue in the face. The facts are
that the majority of people are obstinate and do not like change. If it can
be done in other cities, it can be done in Melbourne. Or are you saying
Melbourne is different (if so, that is why we cannot have DOO in Sydney).

>I suspect the companies realise that,
> since they are putting statistics gatherers out into the field...

They are only doing that because they cannot gather reliable statistics at
the moment. If they started fining people for not validating, and the courts
backed them up, then people *would* validate.

DaveP