Metcard statistics. Does it even happen?

Hi,

Late this week, I travelled on my usual train to work (one hour earlier
these days but) and was confronted by a young man with a folder and a
palmtop PC. That's right, a ticket surveyer.

For a bit of background, these people were originally hired by the
government (who for those who don't know, used to run our railways here in
Vic many moons ago) to gather statistics for the paper ticketing system.
i.e. what ticket someone bought, to go where, etc...

We are now 99% over to a ticketing system that is supposed to be better,
wash the cat, feed the dishes and <shock>gather statistics</shock>. If the
ticketing system really does gather statistics, why do they bother sending
people out, more recently with palm top computers to key in details?

It is evident that people do not want these people stopping next to them (I
honestly don't care, just keep the roaming mormons away, please!). After
having a small chat to the young man (After saying how i do not wish to
participate in the paper based survey) he said that what I said was
probably the nicest thing anyone had said to him all day, and how he is
made to do 11 hour shifts at most times.

I think the perpretrators of this evil ticketing system have reached an all
time low, in my opinion. Why else would they hire these people if the
machines could gather the required statistics as claimed? It's not like
people don't validate *AT TRAIN STATIONS*. At Glenroy *TRAIN STATION* on an
average morning I see approximately 75% of people validate.

Regards
Michael "Please Explain"