Re: Metcard statistics. Does it even happen?

Michael Kurkowski <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in message
8E5A82296telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net">news:8E5A82296telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net...
> Hi,
>
> Late this week, I travelled on my usual train to work (one hour earlier
> these days but) and was confronted by a young man with a folder and a
> palmtop PC. That's right, a ticket surveyer.
>
> For a bit of background, these people were originally hired by the
> government (who for those who don't know, used to run our railways here in
> Vic many moons ago) to gather statistics for the paper ticketing system.
> i.e. what ticket someone bought, to go where, etc...
>
> We are now 99% over to a ticketing system that is supposed to be better,
> wash the cat, feed the dishes and <shock>gather statistics</shock>. If the
> ticketing system really does gather statistics, why do they bother sending
> people out, more recently with palm top computers to key in details?

Because people do not validate, hence the statistics produced bt MetCard are
useless.

> I think the perpretrators of this evil ticketing system have reached an
all
> time low, in my opinion. Why else would they hire these people if the
> machines could gather the required statistics as claimed?

They probably can - but what use are statistics when all those people do not
validate their tickets as they are supposed to?

>It's not like
> people don't validate *AT TRAIN STATIONS*. At Glenroy *TRAIN STATION* on
an
> average morning I see approximately 75% of people validate.

They didn't at Elsternwick *TRAIN STATION* when I was there - on one
morning, I saw 5 people ahead of me walk straight down the ramp without
validating.

DaveP