Re: Head on in the Western district

G'day,

Reece Isaac wrote:

> You really have to weigh up the likely hood of someone inadvertently
> opening an outside door as they fumbled half asleep going to the toilet
> against the likely hood of some sort of crash.  Now you tell me which
> has the higher likely hood of happening?

I guess that 90's term "Risk Management" comes into play.  The 'risk managers' may
well argue in this case that with the doors unlocked, perhaps once every 5 years
somebody will fall out and die.  On the other hand, maybe once every 100 years a
train load of passengers will be incinerated or drowned becuase they were locked
in a crashed train and had no means of escape.  While the former is more likely,
the consequences of the latter are far greater.  It's up to each of us to decide
what we'd prefer - but for me, I would not be locking train doors.  And if the
doors are to be locked, emergency exits should be provided.

Regards,
Craig.
--
Craig Haber