Re: Head on in the Western district

John Dennis <jdennis@acslink.net.au> wrote in message
81sk6f$ihq$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:81sk6f$ihq$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> From what I have read we have the situation where trains can travel
> across facing points without any indication of their setting.  Are the
> annett keys interlocked with anything so that either trains cannot enter
> the section of they are removed from "the box", or the Train Controller
> cannot issue authority to proceed?
>
> To me it seems scary stuff indeed that trains can be travelling at full
> speed over facing points protected by nothing more than a key, without
> even any visual indication.
>
> Cheers...JD

Just imagine the consequences if it had been "The Overland" on the up.  The
spokesperson for Freight Victoria was quick to blame "human error", just
like the Ladbrooke Grove disaster in London.  But again like Ladbrooke
Grove, it is becoming increasingly obvious that the real cause is a fatally
flawed "safeworking" system.   Point indicators are of little use on a
115kph main line, especially as Ararat is merely an "intermediate siding"
and not a crossing station as Zanthus is.  If there is no interlocking
between releasing the Annett keys used for securing the siding points at
Ararat and the ability to issue an Authortity for the Pyrenees Loop -
Maroona section, which appears to be the case, then the person responsible
for authorising this system should be charged with criminal negligence.

John Kerley