> 81sk6f$ihq$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:81sk6f$ihq$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> >
> > From what I have read we have the situation where trains can travel
> > across facing points without any indication of their setting.  Are the
> > annett keys interlocked with anything so that either trains cannot enter
> > the section of they are removed from "the box", or the Train Controller
> > cannot issue authority to proceed?
> >
> > To me it seems scary stuff indeed that trains can be travelling at full
> > speed over facing points protected by nothing more than a key, without
> > even any visual indication.
> >
> > Cheers...JD
>
> Just imagine the consequences if it had been "The Overland" on the up.

For what its worth the Overland would have been travelling a little slower
due to the as required status of Ararat, ie: If you see someone on the
platform "STOP".

 >Point indicators are of little use on a
> 115kph main line, especially as Ararat is merely an "intermediate siding"
> and not a crossing station as Zanthus is.

Track speed before ARTC took over was 55km/h due to the curve at the down
end an a 60km/h curve at the up end, however I now beleive that ARTC have
bumped the former up to 75km/h, which on my recollection would be quite a
frightening experience as it was rough enough at 55km/h.

As for Switchstands and Point Indicators, the location makes viewing of
either very hard due to the curve and bridge, however I guess any view would
be better than non. Another idea would be to do what was done at EMU which
has a blind curve approaching the Trailable Point Indicator.

 ie: A Repeating Signal, which would give the Driver an early view of the
position of the points but not be required to stop at if defective. ie: If
the points are set, Green over Yellow.

If the points are open or not set (Annett Key removed) Yellow over Yellow.

Stop at points and check position ect.

Bob.