Re: [QLD] Kuranda SX sets (was: [QLD] The last SX tin sets)

Bill Bolton <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote in article
<4iu04so0hsrt09nk82se7mbj1mfhgas2uj@4ax.com>...
> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > If the company getting the South African locomotive had been able to
buy wooden
> > cars, I imagine they would have preferred to get them over an SX set.
>
> As far as I'm aware, there are plenty of wooden cars in the same place
> the loco came from... it obvious they could have got wooden cars if
> they'd wanted them that badly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill

The South African carriages could not run on the Kuranda line. Although
their cross section is probably in gauge, they are much longer than QR cars
and would not fit through the tunnels on the sharp curves on that line. It
was considered.