Re: [QLD] Photostops

>canetram59 <canetram59@hotmail.com> wrote in article <383f46c7@grissom>...
>
>    Apparently, it all has to do with the QR's operations system that says
> passengers will only board and detrain at stations. This means you are
not
> supposed to get out between stations for photostops etc. Blame the Hilmer
> Report (Competition Policy) and Rail Safety Accreditation.
>
> canetram59

The QR Safety Management System says that passengers may only board or
detrain at designated passenger set down points. The Safety Management
System also provides for doing things differently by preparing a safety
case.

The real problem is some managers take the easy way out and do nothing to
enable photostops to be held - just simply banning them because they think
they may be liable in the event of an injury to someone or it is simply too
much trouble.

Also many railway people still do not understand or accept the current
structure of QR where the business groups are in effect treated like third
party operators in which case Traveltrain would be responsible for the
operation of the train.

Steam tours are run by QR Heritage which is a part of Traveltrain - a
separate group. Most of the crews are provided by Citytrain except in the
country where they are provided by one of the freight groups.

On a typical QR steam tour, there is usually a loco crew (2 man -
Citytrain), may also be the Driver-in-Charge Heritage (Citytrain), Guard
(Citytrain), Inspector (Freight Operations), Fire patrol following on
hi-rail vehicle (2 man - Infrastructure Services).

On a recent tour, we were not allowed to have a photostop on the single
line range section because there was no where "safe" to get out. Instead,
the Inspector allowed a photostop on a double track section at a platform.
Only problem was we had to cross to the other side of the track via a level
crossing just as a grain train came through - this was considered safe as
there was a platform (not used by any regular trains now) and the level
crossing was a public place. This Inspector has recently retired so things
may improve now.