Re: [QLD] The last SX tin sets

James Brook wrote:

> > Wow. Where? QR still has quite a few steam engines in good order about,
> > so why use the Seff Efrican? Is it a case of being cheaper to import a
> > running engine than to restore a native one?

> It's a privately owned tourist operation, it has nothing to do with QR. Since they
> are getting a South African loco I would assume that this is the most economical
> option. I have heard that the loco requires extensive modifications so it will fit
> within the QR loading gauge.

Gosh. I suppose they've done their sums on the matter, but I wonder if
the time and money they'll need to spend for "extensive" modifications
might absorb whatever savings they make in the short term. I'd like to
learn more about this to assuage my doubts - is there a URL for the
operator involved?

> > I was under the impression (gained in aus.rai) that the frames and
> > bogies of a pair of SX sets would be used with new timber-fascia'd
> > bodies for the Kuranda train. The SX frames for the strength and
> > durability that the wooden bodied cars lack, and the timber for the
> > "Heritage Look" (tm).

> I don't care what anyone says. The so called "Heritage Look" isn't anywhere near as
> good as the real thing. Steel framed cars just aren't the same to ride in.

It sounds a bit dodgy to me as well, at least in terms of aesthetics.
But if it's going to keep the railway running profitably, then more
power to them.

--
Robert Kearey                   Remote Access Group
ITS                             University of Queensland