Re: [QLD] The last SX tin sets

Rob Kearey wrote:

> Gosh. I suppose they've done their sums on the matter, but I wonder if
> the time and money they'll need to spend for "extensive" modifications
> might absorb whatever savings they make in the short term. I'd like to
> learn more about this to assuage my doubts - is there a URL for the
> operator involved?

Don't worry, it'll probably be the Melbourne Limited all over again. I think WCR's idea
of using steam on a regular passenger train, not just a tourist service is the only way
to make regular steam services profitable these days.

> It sounds a bit dodgy to me as well, at least in terms of aesthetics.
> But if it's going to keep the railway running profitably, then more
> power to them.

It doesn't mean I have to like it though! :-) Anyway QR go overboard on safety. It is a
bit strange to be a railfan in Victoria with all the freedom we have at the moment and to
go up there to QR where lineside access is extremely limited. Also the photostops on QR
tours are pathetic as well. On the cairns tour there were no photostops between Brisbane
- Rockhampton, even on the short branch line into Maryborough! They used the excuse that
the ballast was too high, even though the QR cars have steps on them. This was a really
weak excuse at Maryborough where there was no ballast and we weren't blocking any trains
at the time. Up north of Rockhampton we only had two photostops a day and the funniest
thing was, at most of the photostops the ballast was just as high, if not higher than the
ballast south of Rockhampton! QR officials would be amazed at what we do down here. On
the recent ARHS sidings tour we had a photostop in Tottenham yard. With the wooden cars
there aren't even any ladders. You have to use the underframe and then the spring or the
axlebox (depending on the carriage).

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: