Re: [QLD] The last SX tin sets

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:44:53 +1000, Rob Kearey
<r.kearey@mailbox.uq.edu.au> wrote:

>James Brook wrote:
>
>> > Wow. Where? QR still has quite a few steam engines in good order about,
>> > so why use the Seff Efrican? Is it a case of being cheaper to import a
>> > running engine than to restore a native one?
>
>> It's a privately owned tourist operation, it has nothing to do with QR. Since they
>> are getting a South African loco I would assume that this is the most economical
>> option. I have heard that the loco requires extensive modifications so it will fit
>> within the QR loading gauge.
>
>Gosh. I suppose they've done their sums on the matter, but I wonder if
>the time and money they'll need to spend for "extensive" modifications
>might absorb whatever savings they make in the short term. I'd like to
>learn more about this to assuage my doubts - is there a URL for the
>operator involved?

I don't know of a URL, but the loco is being modified in NZ now -
narrowing the cab and a slight lowering I think.  Has been documented
in sundry magazines over the last year or so - I have just read the
most recent edition of Newsrail and Bulletin, and it is mentioned in
at least one of these.

JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html