Re: [QLD] Kuranda SX sets (was: [QLD] The last SX tin sets)

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:09:05 +1100, James Brook
<ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Bill Bolton wrote:
>
>> Did you entirely miss the specifier "most people who holiday in
>> Cairns"?
>
>Ok then, according to you most people who holiday in cairns never use a suburban
>train.

IMO it is certainly true that most Australians don't use suburban
trains.

>> That's a fairly serious comprehension problem you have there.  No, I
>> didn't say that.
>
>Ok then, I made a very small mistake, I'll rephrase it. So you are saying that
>everyone in the world who visits Cairns, apart from railfans hardly ever use a
>train?

And, that most people don't regularly travel by train.

>> Perhaps its depends on the time of the year but the tourist operators
>> were of the strong opinion that the majority of tourist traffic ineth
>> area was from outside Australia.
>
>Who were these tourist operators? When Australian's holiday in Cairns it is
>during the winter months because it is a lot warmer up there. I know plenty of
>people who have gone to Cairns.

So do I.  I try and get there every two years or so.  But whenever I
am there the Aussie tourists seem to be outnumbered by Japanese.
Especially in Cairns itself - I think the Aussies tend to head for the
northern beaches.

[snip]

>The only thing different it will have to offer is the steam locomotive. There is absolutely no
>heritage value or anything else of interest to attract passengers that are after
>more than just a steam train ride. It will probably be more expensive than the
>current QR diesel hauled service and I heard that it has been given an 0840 path
>out of Cairns. This isn't exactly the most ideal time for the average tourist.

Firstly, a steam loco is much more likely to attract tourists than
wooden cars.  Secondly, I would have thought that many all-day tourist
trips from Cairns leave that early.  Tourists, especially those from
overseas, find early starts to be very common in their itinerary.

Just my 2c worth...

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html