Re: [NSW] Year MCMXCIX (was: Tangaras are crap)

Jonathan Boles wrote in message <01baba2f$10ece5e0$cb0865cb@tom-boles>...
>Firstly I am sure, it was a newpaper advertisement. I worked out it would
>be possible actually, by using both Milson's Pt platforms were terminators
>and sending trains through platforms 2/3 at Nth Sydney. According to the
>track layout at Nth sydney, up trains can go through Nth Sydney on platform
>1, terminating at MP on 1, or go through NS on 2, terminating MP on 2.
>Down trains can start fom MP 2, in the conventional way, or start at
>platform 1, going through NS 3 or 2, and rejoining the dn line north of the
>tunnels.
<beautiful track diagram snipped>

Hi again!

I've often thought about this working, to be brought into use temporarily
after the Harbour Bridge falls down until the double track to [Second]
Milson's Point and the ferry wharves are re-opened.

The tracks are there as shown in Jonathon's diagram.  But the signals
aren't!  Terminating trains at Milson's Point would need something like two
single line sections, each with a pilotman, an "up starter" flagman at North
Sydney and a "down starter" flagman at Milson's Point and several dozen
supervising officers to see that safe and proper arrangements were made.
All communicating with the signalperson at Sydney Box.  It would be fun, but
it's unlikely to happen for 1-1/2 hours on a night shift on a public
holiday.  Especially when all concerned will be distracted by fireworks.
Especially when the "official" CityRail story is that Milson's Point and
North Sydney are both closed to passengers.

City Circle and the ESR are closed to passengers, then the trains might as
well terminate at "Sydney Central Inter-City Platforms" (aka the steam
platforms) or "Sydney Central" (aka Central Electric).  [Is there an
official name for platforms 16-23 which is the converse of "Inter-City"?
Maybe Intra-City?]

In this regard, I see that the former "Sydney Frame 'C'" crossover at the
Museum end of platforms 20-23 has been converted to motor operation and
provided with a shunting signal SY359 for trains to reverse from the Up City
Inner to the Down Illawarra/Illawarra Local.  Is this enhancement for New
Year's Eve or purely to facilitate the working of Airport trains when
one-way working is in force on the City Circle?

Rgds

Bill <g,d,r>