Re: Countrylink GM Sacked

Dion Williams <onamission@start.com.au> wrote in message
3835120C.1C0A@start.com.au">news:3835120C.1C0A@start.com.au...
> Dave Proctor wrote:
>
> > All I know is that in 1996, on the day of the reintroduction of NSW
> > services to Brokan Hill, an train hauled by 3 80 class was entering the
loop
> > at Kiakatoo (sp?), was travelling at low speed, struck cattle, and was
> > derailed.
>
> Surely it just means better fencing is needed. Incidentally are the
> railways responsible for this or is it the owners of adjoining
> properties? In any case I'd think the probability of a collision in
> daylight on long stretches of straight track is fairly low overall and
> probably just happened at the worst possible time.

Indeed, it DID happen at the worst possible time. I am not sure as to who is
responsible for the fencing, but the fact remains: a train, hauled by 3 x 80
class, travelling at low speed, derailed after hitting cattle on the tracks.
What would have happened if it was a lightly built Xplorer?

As far as the probability of collision goes, I saw numerous kangaroos out
there too when I did the trip a few weeks ago. These can do just as much
damage as cattle can, although they can move out of the way a bit quicker. I
have even been up the front of an 81 class that has struck a kangaroo - did
not do a lot of damage, although we did lose about 30 minutes.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au