Re: Countrylink GM Sacked

Barry Campbell <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
PJSY3.4820$MZ.38381@ozemail.com.au">news:PJSY3.4820$MZ.38381@ozemail.com.au...

> The BH line was operated from 193? to 198? by the Silver City Comet. This
> train was hauled by very light locomotives. As this train survived for 50
> years an Xplorer does not seem that vulnerable.

True. All I know is that in 1996, on the day of the reintroduction of NSW
services to Brokan Hill, an train hauled by 3 80 class was entering the loop
at Kiakatoo (sp?), was travelling at low speed, struck cattle, and was
derailed.

That was a fun trip. They terminated the new train at Parkes and made
arrangements for buses (oops, luxury coaches) to Broken Hill.

They recognised that quite a few of the passengers were travelling purely
and simply because it was the first train, so they allowed us to return to
Sydney on the special (along with the VIP's) and they rebooked us the
following week. They really did not have to do that - after all, we all had
tickets to Brokan Hill, and they only had to get us there by one means or
another.

They opened up the buffet for free on the return. Kim Finnimore got himself
quite sloshed. This was probably the first time I have seen a loco hauled
air-conditioned train stop at Pendle Hill.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au