Re: Countrylink GM Sacked

Dion Williams <onamission@start.com.au> wrote in message
3829B1B6.5945@start.com.au">news:3829B1B6.5945@start.com.au...
> Dave Proctor wrote:
>
> > Ideally, the Dubbo XPT should be replaced by a 3 car Xplorer (that is
all it
> > really needs most of the year), built up to 4 cars at peak periods, and
use
> > the XPT cars currently used on WT27/28 to reduce the total mileage run
by
> > the fleet.
>
> An Xplorer also gives the option of replacing the loco-hauled service to
> Broken Hill, dividing at Orange with say four cars to Dubbo (and back)
> and three to Broken Hill every second day and return.

I really could not see an Xplorer service to Broken Hill. I was on the first
run of the re-introduced service, the one that had to terminate at Parkes
due to a derailment at Kiakatoo (sp?)

If running into cattle at low speed was enough to derail an 80 class, what
would happen to a comparably light Xplorer at speed? (Assuming that TOW
eventually DOES get implemented).

Perhaps a better option might be to use the XPT compatibility of the PHA
vans, and introduce a loco hauled service consisting of an XB and an XBR -
total capacity would 89 (a bit down on what is on offer at present - 94) -
the service would have to be a Sydney - Broken Hill service though.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au