Re: Melbourne Double deckers NEW APPROACH

Much snipped
> Forget buffery like double deckers and make the existing trains run,
> and run on time, and you won't have a crowding problem.
You have a real thing about it being a rail buff plot to have DDs brought in
in Vic.
I recall that DDs were introduced in NSW in 1964 when most rail buffs were
out chasing steam locomotives which were fast disappearing. Railways in
Australia by OS Nock gives as good an intro into why NSW brought in DDs -
cheaper than moving the signalling, Tulloch was prepared to do them for a
similar price to the single decks and knew they would win the contract by
doing it, cheaper than lengthening the platforms to 10-12 cars, not fair for
people from Penrith and such distances to have to stand all that distance -
many good reasons which stood alone without pressure from rail supporters.

I also recall that the City Loop was built from the outset to handle them -
the NSW precedent might one day be followed (notwithstanding the interstate
rivalry and embarrasment of using another state's idea)
When the Cain/Kirner govt was still in power, the Ringwood line had huge
crowds AND high frequencies, AND even in the context of building a third
track, the DDs were thought necessary. A Tangara look-alike was no doubt a
good idea in the context of buying lots of them, afterall we criticise govt
railways when they design anew rather than use existing designs.

if you do, add