Re: Country(link?) - try walking instead

> > Switched On wrote in message ...
> > >
> > >Jack <bd107@tsn.cc> wrote in message
> > >they are constantly travelling (just like Countrylink staff.) It is not
> > >cheaper to run an aircraft as compared to a train, actually quite the
> > >reverse because you have much higher fuel, maintenance and
infrastructure
> > >costs (airport terminals are not cheap.)
> >
> > Nor is servicing fuel etc for the trains as well... It is very amusing
> when
> > pple try compare rail and air... You have to be kidding.... they cater
for
> > completely different styles of clientele
>
> Not really. They cater for people trying to get from one location to
another
> faster than they could by walking or riding a donkey.

Agreed. From Osaka to Tokyo (Mel-Cbr distance) it is quicker to catch the
train than fly.
Trains and planes compete over distances 300-700km. Above 700km planes win.
Below 300km trains win.
Australia can do this to over populated segments eg Syd-Cbr, Mel-Cbr. We
have chosen not to. Chosen. Like we chose to build a freeway from Mel to
Syd. That money would have paid for a four hour journey time by rail. But we
preferred road.

> > I think U are missing the point here... the service is provided for a
> > certain customer, as a rule pple who cannot afford to fly and pensioners
> who
> > get their travel for a song.. If you have the money to fly and prefer
> > flying, sure go ahead, but there are pple who cannot afford to take that
> > option... and as such the level of service is reflected by the majority
of
> > pple who use the service... Countrylink Trains, in reality are just
> > glorified interurbans...
>
> So is the Tilt Train... but you can get a quality meal without leaving
your
> seat, watch a video, have attendants come around and check that
everything's
> ok...

The Tilt train has been Australia's only real attempt to get people to use
rail again. And that's on the 3'6! Imagine the same train on 4'8"1/2 with a
bit more size and grunt - the 210kmh would be the service speed, not the
test speed. From Melbourne to Sydney in 5.5 hours (with appropriate
deviations built as in Qld). Who'd catch a bus?

The stuff about McDonalds, though I detest the place, is also true. Give
them what they pay for. If you stuff up, give them another free ride. Also
why are the trains full of roudy types. Why are the trains in this country
3rd rate after planes and buses. Most other countries in the civilised world
it is Planes 1st, trains second and buses third. In some countries you would
much prefer the train for quality than the plane. Trains are a form of
transport, not a social security policy. And the public perceptions of
passenger trains influence the way freight rail is dealt with by pollies and
lobbyists.