Re: [NSW] That infamous trackwork

> >   And what is your soloution to the problem?
> >
> > Do we not allow any track work and just patch it when a train comes
> > off? Answer: Clearly not!
>
> No.
>
> > Do we only schedule track work in one area at one time? Answer: No you
> > can only have so many people working in the same area at the same
> > time. City Rail is a large network and needs to schedule work in
> > multiple places as the same time to get it done! If not the
> > maintenance doesn't get done and trains come off or have to go slow.
>
> No. We schedule the trackwork at night. We do not consider residents who
> live near the railway line. These people bought (or rented) houses close
> railway lines, they now have to put up with the consequences of that
(trains
> going past at all hours, trackwork at all hours).

The inconvenience of the amount of trackwork is ridiculous! In Japan I never
encountered this. The Shinkansens are turned off before 12 and a 6 hour
window allows trackwork to take place. And on the 3'6 I didn't see anything
other than minor works. I wonder if the difference is (as it was in the
past)

Cost-saving (they save money in train operations by not running the trains)
Mechanisation (a crew of gangers with shovels and hammers standing by the
track don't interfere with operations as much as machines and maybe only
requires a temporary speed restriction)
Neglect (Sydney is catching up from years of failing to have decent
signalling, concrete sleepers, 1920s stanchions and crappy stations)
Olympics (s__t we'd better do it now while we still can justify it)

Still if the finished product is both better than what we started with, and
requires less ongoing maintenance because the concrete sleepers, clean
ballast, new stanchions and new signals last longer, then it will have been
worth it.