Re: [NSW] That infamous trackwork

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:15:16 +1100, "Scott Beecham"
<snoa@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>Oh boy..... I had some real fun this weekend. We planned to train our way
>from Penrith to Minto. Being the efficient cityrail user I was I checked for
>track work at the cityrail website. We found out there was some track work
>and expected some delays. Being in a hurry I decided I'd follow the route
>that seemed most obvious at the time. Here is the journey from Penrith to
>Minto:
>Station                          Mode of transport
>*Penrith - St Marys                  train
>St  Marys - Granville               bus
>Granville - Fairfield                 train
>Fairfield-Glenfield                     bus
>Glenfield - Minto                     train

  And what is your soloution to the problem?

Do we not allow any track work and just patch it when a train comes
off? Answer: Clearly not!

Do we only schedule track work in one area at one time? Answer: No you
can only have so many people working in the same area at the same
time. City Rail is a large network and needs to schedule work in
multiple places as the same time to get it done! If not the
maintenance doesn't get done and trains come off or have to go slow.

  Clearly City Rail choose two places on different lines which would
minimise the number of people that needed to change like you did. They
provided alternatives at no extra cost. They made it clear on their
web site. When I lived there at least they advertised on stations
trackwork comming up. Advertising was always in places where it was
hard to miss, and they advised for lines other than that which passed
through the station.

And lastly you admit you were in a hurry (despite admiting to knowing
the work was going on) and took what you thought would be the best
option, when you freely admit there were other more viable
alternaives.

  So what exactly is your problem?
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia  ajwright@nospam.ozemail.com.au
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright   Do not reply to my email. Delete word 'Spam'.