Re: Melbourne Double deckers NEW APPROACH

Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote in message
38234A82.580205E7@primus.com.au">news:38234A82.580205E7@primus.com.au...
> We often hear the ..ohits tto hard or too expensive to do such and
such....heyguys theyjust
> relocated all the tracks in and around Flinders St...so that didnt cost a
couple of dollars!!
> Thankyou for the directions to info on melb sparks stuff, very intersting
> Some explanations please. Each of the 4D cars is shorter and narrower than
the comengs...so why the
> trouble with curves and platforms??

The problem is that the 4D has straight sides whereas the comengs have
curved sides which bulge out to a maximum about 1m above the platform, hence
the problem with platforms

> Again what areas suffer the problem of insufficinet play for the
pantographs??
> I dont belive that if the will was there that DD couldnt run.
> SO Melb system is nowhere near capacity??  Sorry  ..been on a peak hour
train ths deacde??

IF the trains run on time, I notice that the trains aren't that crowded
during the peak hour. There are some lines which are worse than others,
especially broadmeadows and weribee.

[snip]

> Heres food for thought...they spent how much restifyin loading guage
problems for just one train on
> an IF!!! Your telling me they would spend some money for a whole system.
> Its called progress, it uses open thinking

It was done because there was an order for 20+ 4 car sets to be run on the
Belgrave/Lilydale lines and progressively introduced (as infrastructure was
modified) on the longer runs. However, with the change of government, this
was scrapped as they were supposedly too expensive.

cheers
Johann