Re: New rail freight corridor through Sydney

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
7vub6d$9k7$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7vub6d$9k7$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> Matthew Geier <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
> 7vu9ge$dhg$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au">news:7vu9ge$dhg$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au...
>
> > $125 million won't buy a lot of corridor in Sydney. Litagation alone
over
> > the noise and polution potential of such a line could chew through more
> > than that. !
> >
> >  Look how far the 'One Nation' project got with its Enfield access
> project.
> >
> >  They would have to built the line sub-surface and make it electric
> traction
> > only. That aint going to happen.
>
> Depends on what they mean by "freight corridor" - they could, for example,
> extend the current Ingleburn-Glenfield relief line, put a dive in to get
it
> to the other side - that would put it on the right side to get it around
> Liverpool and Cabramatta - then up through Leightonfield, another dive to
> get it under the Bankstown lines at Sefton, and presto, you are at
Chullora
> with not too many resumptions. A dedicated freight line from Ingleburn to
> Chullora.
>
> Not too sure what they could do on the northside though, the complex at
> Homebush Bay seems to prevent building a direct line from Enfield directly
> to Rhodes.

Can they get away from using the Northern Districts line? This line is
getting more congested with urban traffic.
What about a dedicated freight line out west following the 'Old Putty' Road
up near Jerry Plains/Maitland and join up with the main north. It would
alleviate the urban line from Gosford down to Hornsby.
It would be very expensive. The alternative is to go over the Blue Mountains
and join up to the proposed inland route.