Re: Melbourne Double deckers NEW APPROACH

: At least looka t the propect of say what might 3 car 4D's (not 4 car) be able to do.

You have 4 cars because they are shorter because of the loading gauge.  If
you have three car double deckers they would be around the same length
as about 2 1/3 cars of a comeng or hitachi.  And carry the same number
of people.  To get the advantage of more people in the train the double
decker would have to be that same length as the existing comeng/hitachi
3 car sets.  And because of the loading gauge on the corners you have
to have shorter carrages so you need 4 cars.

So 4 car to be the same as a 3 car comeng/hitachi and carrying more
people.

: These seem perfectly capable of most non peak trips, and they would be even better able if you
: Run double headers  (6 car) during peak..still as if not more  capable than a Comeng set. Remember
: if a system is run to service its customers, it will get some!!

Current platform lengths are around 160 m and 6 car comeng/hitachi is about
149m.  There is not proble with platform length even with 8 car double
decker or tait

: As to the Metcard analogy , and getting people used to getting ready to get off athe intended
: stop..people arent totally and completely stupid, if there is a decent vestibule and they no they
: So my idea, get 3 car DD's , run them on 8-15 min headways depending upon time of day, Double them
: up and run them on 5 mins during peak.
: And dont give me that stuff about . oh we have done studies etc..I can make stats bend further than
: spaghetti!!
: Remember, in past days the local manufacturers did not have a DD product, so why push the idea...you
: can bet if theyhad, thay would have lobbied like mad, the gears of decision making land would have
: been oiled and "greased" and we would have more thanone DD train on our tracks now.

Yes we need double deckers, but 8 cars.  We have just go to run 6 cars on
weekday off peak and weekends on some lines.  Running 3/4 car double deckers
on these lines would be a backward step.

I also aggree with the change the system.  that crap about "if it an't broke
don't fix it" never holds up.  You might have something that works very well
but there is something better.  Look at the horse and cart, nothing wrong
just the car was better.

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord