Re: Melbourne frequencies (was Double deckers)

: I have often wondered whether the lower frequencies in the north and
: west are for political reasons or patronage reasons.

: Either they offer better service on Frankenstein, Dandenong & Ringwood
: lines because they pass through a lot of marginal seats, or because the
: patronage is better (triggering the chicken-and-egg argument about
: which came first, the poor service or the low patronage).

: I live on the Epping line which doesn't get any expresses and only gets
: 20mins off peak (and takes a long time due to the closely spaced
: stations and indirect route) - no wonder people tend to prefer the
: Bundoora tram outside peak hour and patronage isn't very high for the
: southern end of the line.

Something else not said so far, lines like ones through Nth Melb,
Clifton Hill has 20 minute serivce and 3 car trains in off peak
Line through Richmond (caulfield, sandringhad, burnley) have 15
minute service and 6 car trains.

Not only do they get better service but 6 car trains as well.

many there are more people using the line, or the  line serves
a bigger area (ie longer line, more stations)

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Before you buy.

--

Chris Gordon