Re: Melbourne Double deckers NEW APPROACH

Interesting..I understood there weresome problems with 8 car 4Ds and plaltforms. What aspect exactly about the corners
of the 4Ds are the problem and how hard to redesign to negate much work on existing infrastructure..
Am wondering how often and where the capacity of 4car 4Ds would be insufficient during off peak. By my figuring a
3-car-4D set is roughly the same maybe 10 short of seating as compared to 3 car comeg...so where three-car comengs are
used a 4 car 4D must be able to cope.
With greater frequencies the people moving capacity of the system increases...i.e if you had a period when 5 x 3car sets
ran , capacity 280 odd  equals roughly 1400.
Same frequency with 4car 4Ds..capacity very roughly 1800.......increase by 1 the frequency then capacity rises to nearly
2200.

Yep just statistics,and can be made to look like anything...but going back to the aint broke (is) scenario..thenif the
present sytem is not working properly why are we continuing to  design trains to fit an equasion thats flawed. Lets get
the equasion right!! Get trains to do the "new" job properly and intergrate the best of th old into this new formula.
Again there are too many band-aids on the ol' system...time to chuck it and have a big rethink...people are travelling
different to how they were 10 years and indeed even 5 years ago.
Does every service need to be city orientated..is there a need or possible provision for some shuttle type services..may
be impractical..may be not??

back to the medicine!!

cheers >:~)) Richard