Re: Tocumwal and North

Yuri J Sos wrote:

> "Steve not Geoffrey Hurst" <hurste@ozemail.com.au> wrote, and also Yuri
> Sos I
> selectively quote:
>
> WC has already signalled that it wants to be a force in Vic freight
> haulage, and 10 ex-WA L class (yes I know, gas guzzlers) could be used
> in Vic on the SG.  A lucrative part of FV's income is the transport of
> grain and a lot of grain moves on SG.  WC could move in here, bidding
> for the VicGrain contract (so could NRC, whose locos I believe are now
> permitted to Portland).

You forget that WC are past masters at maintaining an elderly fleet of
locomotives at their efficient best bearing in mind cost. I am referring
to the SD45's of which they have over 100 in service in the US. I imagine
that it would be a relative piece of cake for them to do the same to the
L's. (This comment will probably stir Mark up now.)

I make no secret of my leaning towards the proven operator of a number of
large systems and by that I mean all joined up and not scattered around
the country. It would appear that Rail America (except for their 1,400
mile Chile railroad) do not have any lines or groups of lines over about a
few hundred miles.  Any new operator who within 12 years of commencing
operations can convince the money people that purchasing 250 new
locomotives for their English venture has to be doing something right.

David Langley.

p.s. Have a read of the book - Wisconsin Central, Railroad Success Story.
(Dobnick & Glischinski, Kalmbach 1997). You will gain a whole new idea of
the belief that rail is eminently suited to ALL types of rail traffic.
Here in Australia we have to get away from the idea that road is the only
way to move small time sensitive freight. To those who believe that it is
so then go visit WC, NZ or UK (EWS) freight.