Re: Tocumwal and North

"Steve not Geoffrey Hurst" <hurste@ozemail.com.au> wrote, and I
selectively quote:

>Any chance that the line could be extended in standard gauge
>to start  standardisation northward

I'd go so far as to suggest that FV would not consider it in its
interest to push standardisation of much of the current broad gauge
network.

FV has a non-exclusive lease, meaning that other operators could move
(in paying rail access charges of course).

WC has already signalled that it wants to be a force in Vic freight
haulage, and 10 ex-WA L class (yes I know, gas guzzlers) could be used
in Vic on the SG.  A lucrative part of FV's income is the transport of
grain and a lot of grain moves on SG.  WC could move in here, bidding
for the VicGrain contract (so could NRC, whose locos I believe are now
permitted to Portland).

Maintaining BG trackage raises the barrier to invaders just that bit
higher as it means the new entrant needs to obtain then convert locos
and rolling stock to BG (I suppose the same could apply to
ASW/SAW/WAS/AWS).  Coupled with higher rail access charges, that could
make the difference between a competitive and non-competitive tender
for a given commodity haulage contract.

Regards

Yuri
--