Re: Re Gunzel ?

Graeme Sproul wrote:

> David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in message
> 37303808.545B6F87@ancc.com.au">news:37303808.545B6F87@ancc.com.au...
> > Graeme Sproul wrote:
> >
> > > Seems to me back in the seventies that any male who chased trains,rode
> them
> > > to places like Balranald, Robinvale,Deniliquin,asked the driver if he
> could
> > > sleep on the DERM for the night ,

> The point I was trying to make was that there where extreme caricatures
> getting around then as there are now.

Yes I have to agree with you about the few bad apples etc.

My memories of Robinvale were of a very friendly guard from Ultima, I can't
remember where the drive was from, and he said that during the fruit picking
season they were very careful to lock up the motor to avoid problems with the
seasonal workers. However, after consultation with the police (who he said
inspected the train during the night) permitted us to sleep in it because of the
early departure. We, I like to think, presented ours selves as respectable
enthusiasts. This was, I might add, the middle of a week of railmotors in
northern Victoria, and we did not make a good start with the night at Piangil on
the Mon night (slept on the platform). Tues was at Cohuna and that was in a
private house, Wed at Robinvale, Thur at Balranald and Fri at Hopetoun (yes I
know not the Bendigo area). At Balranald and Hopetoun we had the run of the
barracks with the drivers blessings. The Balranald driver even stopped at
Perekerten and pretended to unload some van goods for our photo. A real
gentleman.

David Langley.

(never owned an anorak)