Re: Re Gunzel ?

Graeme Sproul wrote:

> Seems to me back in the seventies that any male who chased trains,rode them
> to places like Balranald, Robinvale,Deniliquin,asked the driver if he could
> sleep on the DERM for the night ,had very smelly socks,bad breath,wore un
> fashionable pants and jackets,spoke very loudly to impress all in sundry of
> his knowledge i.e "There's the 11.30 Bendigo" and took heaps of photos and
> notes,and if I have not covered it all,Pissed rail staff and fellow
> enthusiasts off completely. then that's a Gunzel.
> Rail crews of that time would say,"Look out here comes one of those
> HYSTERICAL mob.
>
> Cause I was not like that and nobody dead or living person that I new was
> ever like that:)
> Graeme Sproul
> Ex train crew.

Fortunately I never ran into any of those "gunzels" or train crew. The times I
travelled on those lines, the train crews were polite and friendly, provided
you were the same in return. As for the smelly .......... showers were around
in the 1970's in crews barracks and friendly crews would let you avail yourself
of these facilities. I took heaps of notes and am very glad I did because they
offer an historical picture of what the railways were like in our early days of
the hobby.

By the way, I don't think that I have ever heard of the 11.30 Bendigo.

David Langley.