Re: Re Gunzel ?

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in message
37303808.545B6F87@ancc.com.au">news:37303808.545B6F87@ancc.com.au...
> Graeme Sproul wrote:
>
> > Seems to me back in the seventies that any male who chased trains,rode
them
> > to places like Balranald, Robinvale,Deniliquin,asked the driver if he
could
> > sleep on the DERM for the night ,had very smelly socks,bad breath,wore
un
> > fashionable pants and jackets,spoke very loudly to impress all in sundry
of
> > his knowledge i.e "There's the 11.30 Bendigo" and took heaps of photos
and
> > notes,and if I have not covered it all,Pissed rail staff and fellow
> > enthusiasts off completely. then that's a Gunzel.
> > Rail crews of that time would say,"Look out here comes one of those
> > HYSTERICAL mob.
> >
> > Cause I was not like that and nobody dead or living person that I new
was
> > ever like that:)
> > Graeme Sproul
> > Ex train crew.
>
> Fortunately I never ran into any of those "gunzels" or train crew. The
times I
> travelled on those lines, the train crews were polite and friendly,
provided
> you were the same in return. As for the smelly .......... showers were
around
> in the 1970's in crews barracks and friendly crews would let you avail
yourself
> of these facilities. I took heaps of notes and am very glad I did because
they
> offer an historical picture of what the railways were like in our early
days of
> the hobby.
>
> By the way, I don't think that I have ever heard of the 11.30 Bendigo.
>
> David Langley.
> Your quite right David, it was the 11.15 Bendigo, I forgot to refer to my
notes.
The point I was trying to make was that there where extreme caricatures
getting around then as there are now.
Runningout to Robinvale one night on the 2315 down I asked the driver if it
would be OK to sleep on the Rail mtr.as we had a 0505 dep.next morning. No
way in the world he said,he then proceeded to relate how this smelly badly
dressed photo and note taking member of the hysterical mob had  recently
burned him really bad and that as far as he was concerned No railway
enthusiast from that day forward was going to sleep or do any thing else to
his rail mtr.
Apparently the crime had been to use the W.C. in the platform.
I spent a memorable night trying to stay awake and sleep at the same time
under the goods shed.
Do you think I felt kindly disposed to the chap who had gone before me?
In those days I probably would have referred to him as a crank.
Like you I slept some times in barracks between clean sheets after getting
the nod from the driver, more often it was stretched out on comfortable
D.e.r.m seats,shunters cabins with a roaring briquette fire ,likewise many a
ZL van floor.And that was all before I joined the job.
A recent analogy :Certain people at the footy throw cans at the players alas
by the Monday morning the Authorities are talking about banning cans at the
footy. A case of one bad apple.etc.
I truly believe that there are enthusiasts and there are "Gunzels", in all
hobbies.

Graeme Sproul
Ex smelly socks