Re: Tocumwal and North

On Thu, 06 May 1999 22:40:12 +1000, David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
wrote, and I selectively quote:

>You forget that WC are past masters at maintaining an elderly fleet of
>locomotives at their efficient best bearing in mind cost. I am referring
>to the SD45's of which they have over 100 in service in the US. I imagine
>that it would be a relative piece of cake for them to do the same to the
>L's. (This comment will probably stir Mark up now.)

I hadn't forgotten, David.  Some people decry the Cs because they are
"gas guzzlers".  However, they've been written down to nothing and
thus have minimal capital cost.  The point I was making was that WC
have 30,000 HP sitting around on the Australian mainline "all dressed
up and nowhere to go".

>p.s. Have a read of the book - Wisconsin Central, Railroad Success Story.
>(Dobnick & Glischinski, Kalmbach 1997). You will gain a whole new idea of
>the belief that rail is eminently suited to ALL types of rail traffic.
>Here in Australia we have to get away from the idea that road is the only
>way to move small time sensitive freight. To those who believe that it is
>so then go visit WC, NZ or UK (EWS) freight.

You're not for a moment suggesting that our Jeff and Alan could have
possibly picked the wrong tender?

Perhaps we need to send one book to each politician.

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos