Re: Bluebirds to Run extra services in SA?

Neil Waller wrote:

> There was a Daylight in the 1980s.   I'm not sure which year but it ran
> over the Christmas / January Holiday period.
>
> It essentially was an extension of the Dimboola Passenger out of
> Melbourne.   I don't know about the other way.  I traveled Melbourne to
> Adelaide on a stinking hot day as I recall.

It ran with extra cars and loco attached to the Dimboola pass on the down. On the
up the Dimboola pass ran ahead and the Adelaide Daylight ran as a separate train to
Melbourne. The Adelaide portion was Overland sitting cars and an RBJ serving basic
takeaways of the period. The BRN was still serving proper meals in those days and
so those in the know went from the Adelaide cars to the BRN for a proper lunch
which was taken back to the AJ/BJ seats. I can't remember the year and days of
operation but early 80's is about right. I travelled Melbourne - Adelaide and
return next day. A splendid two days of travel. Perhaps Rod Smith can supply the
missing info.

David Langley.