Re: New Signal Panel at Ringwood

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in message
37567D45.C77A55C7@ancc.com.au">news:37567D45.C77A55C7@ancc.com.au...

> MattyQ wrote:

> > Last time I visited Newport box, I was told they switch Willie in for 30
> > mins during the a.m. peak because a train splits there. However, this
was
> > still in the days of The Met so I'm not sure if this working is still
> > carried out. I recall a rather lengthy thread about uncoupling Comeng's
in
> > service. Bayside may have abolished this move. Can someone comment
please?

For a while I remember there was an obscure fault with the signals that
prevented trains from splitting at Willie, I never found out what sort of
fault would prevent a train from splitting?

> Being a country resident I do not see the subn area regularly but when
last at
> Frankston, they were splitting and coupling sets in the sidings there. The
> Com-eng trains have the Scharfenberg type and can be uncoupled in safety
from
> the cabs. The problem as I see it in conservative Victoria is the moving
of a
> train a little way with out any supervision of the public. I would imagine
that
> the practice is still permitted.

> > >The interesting thing about Sandringham and Lilydale is the departure
> > >signal
> > >doen't clear until it is time to depart as it protects a level
crossing.

> > In Brisbane, Shorncliffe and Ferny Grove are terminal stations adjacent
> > level crossings. The method of operation at these stations is - the
Train
> > Controller will clear the starting signal on his UTC workstation. This
will
> > drive any points to the correct position. A white light will illuminate
on a
> > keyswitch located on a post on the platform. When the train is ready to
> > depart, the guard operates the keyswitch. This triggers the booms then
> > clears the signal.

> > Naturally, if the guard operates the keyswitch when the white light is
not
> > lit, nothing will happen. Also, there is a cancelling switch to restore
the
> > signal should the train fail or such.

> > Maybe the driver does a similar thing at Sandringham and Lilydale. Can
> > someone clarify this operation please?

> At Sandringham certainly (and Lilydale 99% certainly) a key switch on the
> platform is operated by the station staff prior to departure of the train.

Hmmm.. Lilydale has a keyswitch, I'm sure DEL will correct me, but I thought
SHM had *Push Buttons*.....

Plus... your all forgetting Cranbourne, when switched out on the panel at
DNG, the Signals just fleet, to let a train in, and out, and in,....

Doh! Lyndbrook as well.....

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.