Re: New Signal Panel at Ringwood

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote in message
<7j3ao1$44l$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>...
>And Williamstown, set for arrival, then the points change and the signal
>clears.  Only switched in when there is a problem or two Up's or two Down's
>in a row.  (Remote controlled from Newport 'A')

Last time I visited Newport box, I was told they switch Willie in for 30
mins during the a.m. peak because a train splits there. However, this was
still in the days of The Met so I'm not sure if this working is still
carried out. I recall a rather lengthy thread about uncoupling Comeng's in
service. Bayside may have abolished this move. Can someone comment please?

>The interesting thing about Sandringham and Lilydale is the departure
signal
>doen't clear until it is time to depart as it protects a level crossing.

In Brisbane, Shorncliffe and Ferny Grove are terminal stations adjacent
level crossings. The method of operation at these stations is - the Train
Controller will clear the starting signal on his UTC workstation. This will
drive any points to the correct position. A white light will illuminate on a
keyswitch located on a post on the platform. When the train is ready to
depart, the guard operates the keyswitch. This triggers the booms then
clears the signal.

Naturally, if the guard operates the keyswitch when the white light is not
lit, nothing will happen. Also, there is a cancelling switch to restore the
signal should the train fail or such.

Maybe the driver does a similar thing at Sandringham and Lilydale. Can
someone clarify this operation please?

Matt Smith
Brisbane, QLD

I never seem to finish anyth