Re: Batman Avenue Trams Finished!

: The Ls and the VR cars had no problems with clearance anywhere on the old
: MMTB that I know about.

The Ls were 9' 1.5" wide, the widest trams on the system.  The VR cars
were onyl 9' which is the same width as the Ws.

: The only platform that I remember in Swanston Street was at the Franklin
: Street Signal box. The stops were standard safety zones, with different
: railings, and yes, loudspeakers for a signalman to identify arriving cars.

There was a platform at Flinders Street.  Any way I will have to check
the about the restrictions of the Ls, because they were run on the
East Brighton and Carnegie Lines to 1969 (also have to check when the
platform was build at Flinders Street).

Still doesn't change the fact the low level platforms were around before
the Zs.

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord