Re: Batman Avenue Trams Finished!

The Ls and the VR cars had no problems with clearance anywhere on the old
MMTB that I know about.

The VR cars were restricted to Footscray line because they were non standard
vehicles, along with W5 class cars 750 and 751 which also had non standard
control gear (same as a Glenelg tram).

W6 and W7 class resilient wheel cars were also restricted to the Bourke
Street routes for most of their early years.

The only platform that I remember in Swanston Street was at the Franklin
Street Signal box. The stops were standard safety zones, with different
railings, and yes, loudspeakers for a signalman to identify arriving cars.

The L class were fantastic cars to drive or to conny on.

I have movies of the first Z class doing clearance tests on the Wattle Park
route. Some modifications to kerbing, etc., were subsequently made,

Cheers
John Wayman

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
7j0fri$dtt$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7j0fri$dtt$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...
> : > Didn't Swanston Street have some sort of platforms at some time?
Hence