Re: Batman Avenue Trams Finished!

: > Didn't Swanston Street have some sort of platforms at some time?  Hence
: > the reason that the VR trams couldn't run down Swanston Street (they were
: > too wide)

: Hmm, don't think so but perhaps someone else can verify.

Ok, from about the 1950's till I don't know the 70's?
Swanston Street had low level platform(s).  There is even a picture of one
at the corner of Flinders Street and Swanston Street (South bound) in
"Melbourne's Tramways in 1974" on page 17 (Complete with inspector and
loudspeakers telling people where each tram was going)
That might have been the only stop I don't know I wasn't around then.

The trams that were too wide for the platforms in Swanston Street were
the L class trams.

So low level platforms and restrictions on which tram could go where
were around long before the Z class trams (and 1041).

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord