Re: Batman Avenue Trams Finished!

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> I am only 20, so they are older then me.  But now they have low level
> platforms the Z's can't be on route 70.  Already I have been told there
> have been some swaps of Z for A from Zew depot.  So Camberwell will have
> no Z's.  Kew will have a few to run on route 34. (La Trobe st shuttle)

I think that Camberwell has had only a few for quite a while, certainly since some As came over
from Kew.

> I always through it was stupid boarding by the front door and off the
> back.  It worked sometimes but during bussy times it didn't work and
> took far too long.  (don't worry I spent 6 years catching them each day
> with a sitted conductor)

Well the system worked reasonably well in the early days but I think that public behavior
standards have fallen nowadays and rude people with no patience just push on through any door
thus preventing the passengers who wish to alight from doing so. And the stupid ticket system
that no longer requires you to enter at the front to buy your ticket can also be held to blame.

> Didn't Swanston Street have some sort of platforms at some time?  Hence
> the reason that the VR trams couldn't run down Swanston Street (they were
> too wide)

Hmm, don't think so but perhaps someone else can verify.

David.