Validating Metcards

I know there was an extensive thread on this issue some time ago. However,
having just experienced the "system" first-hand, I thought I would pass on
my comments as an "outsider" (from Sydney):

According to Yarra Trams blurb, one reason to validate is "so we know you're
travelling"! What does this mean? Surely, the fact that I'm on the tram is
proof that I'm travelling!

Also, what possible use can it be to know where people get ON the tram,
without knowing where they got off? Even then, there's no guarantee that
people will validate as soon as they board.

(BTW, I tried to buy a Zone 2-3 Adult Daily from at least two TVMs at
Flinders Street. They kept saying "invalid ticket type", even though they
have a specific button for this combination. Is this some sort of anti-fraud
thing, to stop people buying a Zone 2-3 ticket in Zone 1 to travel beyond
Zone 1, without having bought a Zone 1 ticket? But surely the gates in Zone
1 won't accept a Zone 2-3 ticket?)

Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)