Re: Validating Metcards

"Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)" wrote:

> According to Yarra Trams blurb, one reason to validate is "so we know you're
> travelling"! What does this mean? Surely, the fact that I'm on the tram is
> proof that I'm travelling!

Well, we don't have any conductors any more, and the drivers are supposed to
keep their eyes on the road.
Say you get on a tram at 1800 on a Sunday night. You validate your ticket and so
do the other 200 pax on the tram. This would tell the company that they require
an extra service at this time as a lot of people are using the system. However,
if no one validates, they think the tram is empty and a wasted service, they may
cancel the service...

> (BTW, I tried to buy a Zone 2-3 Adult Daily from at least two TVMs at
> Flinders Street. They kept saying "invalid ticket type", even though they
> have a specific button for this combination. Is this some sort of anti-fraud
> thing, to stop people buying a Zone 2-3 ticket in Zone 1 to travel beyond
> Zone 1, without having bought a Zone 1 ticket? But surely the gates in Zone
> 1 won't accept a Zone 2-3 ticket?)

This is just to ensure that people don't buy the wrong ticket and then demand
their money back ("But I AM travelling to Zone 3"). All of the ticket windows
sell zone 2, 3 and 2 & 3 tickets, as well as all zone 1 tickets. There should
ALWAYS be a ticket window open at every city station (and yes, I know that there
are some times when there is not, that's why I said should!). If you buy a zone
2, 3 or 2 & 3 ticket for immediate use, then the booking officer will stamp the
ticket with the date and time.

Sam Eades
eadess@yahoo.com