Re: Web Dock Rail line

G'day,

David Langley wrote:

> only. The present Fawkner station is not the station from that period. The line
> through to Somerton was reopened and was worked by an AEC railmotor, and served
> a sparse but slowly growing population mostly along Sydney Road and there were a
> large number of Rail Motor Stopping Places along the line adjacent to Sydney
> Road.

My parents were among that 'sparse population', for whom the walk to school was
across paddocks now occupied by houses.  My mother tells me the AEC "Beetle"
railmotor had pretty much an infinite number of stopping places - ie, the driver
would stop and let you off wherever you wanted!  How's that for service!

Cheers,
CH.
--
Craig Haber