Re: Web Dock Rail line

> >ie a Railway line having to be rebuilt to the same destination after having
> >been pulled up .
> >The only one I can think of is Lalor to Epping after the Whittilsea line
> >closed,even then Im not sure whether the rails were pulled up.
> >Any more ?

Lalor - Epping is an example of a railway line being REOPENED not rebuilt. In
railway history there is a difference in the implication of what you mean. A
reopening generally requires a modicum of rebuilding but mostly because of the
lack of maintenance during the closed period. The UFG - Belgrave is a rebuilt
railway although you could argue that it is a new railway (the alignment is only
generally along the ng alignment) and not a reopening to new gauge.

> After consulting the trusty Melbourne's Metropolitan Railway System
> 1854-1994 Map, the Melbourne ones are:
> #  Williamstown Racecourse to Altona (line to Altona Beach closed 14-8-1890,
> line to Altona reopened 1-12-1917. Map shows Altona Beach past current
> Altona)
> #  Flemington Racecourse line closed 1-7-1864, reopened 31-10-1867
> #  Essendon line closed 1-7-1864, reopened 9-10-1871
> #  Coburg to Somerton closed 13-7-1903, Coburg to Fawkner reopened
> 12-12-1906, Fawkner to Somerton reopened 5-3-1928, closed 5-5-1956, Fawkner
> to Upfield reopened 17-8-1959
> #  Lalor to Epping closed 28-11-1959, reopened 30-11-1964
> # Ashburton to Alamein closed 9-12-1895, reopened 28-6-1948

You could also mention Hastings to Stony Point. All the above lines closed due
to lack of traffic and were later opened when circumstances permitted. North
Melbourne - Essendon and Flemington RC closed because the private coy went bust
and the govt did not wish to buy at the time. It later relented and the lines
were reopened but I doubt that much rebuilding went on.

> Does anyone know the story why the Somerton line was opened and closed so
> many times? Indecision? Swinging electorates (which I doubt as it the area
> is a safe Labour area and I presume has probably always been so)? I know the
> Upfield bit was due to the Ford factory but surely it wouldn't take 3 years
> to electrify a single track from Fawkner! I can only recall references to
> the fact the line opened and closed in my limited reference collection,
> apart from the Ford factories and declining users.

I doubt very much that the area has been a swinging electorate and I think that
that sort of influence is only a recent media thing. I recall that electorates
in the 50's and 60's didn't swing they just fell to the other side occasionally.
The original line between Fawkner and Somerton closed due to lack of traffic
following the line opening during the railway boom period. It later opened to
Fawkner cemetery whan that place was opened and at first was for funeral traffic
only. The present Fawkner station is not the station from that period. The line
through to Somerton was reopened and was worked by an AEC railmotor, and served
a sparse but slowly growing population mostly along Sydney Road and there were a
large number of Rail Motor Stopping Places along the line adjacent to Sydney
Road. The AEC used small TTs at each end to turn and at Somerton was not
connected to the NE main line at all. After its demise with the growth of motor
cars in the post war period it took the provision of the Ford factory at what is
today Upfield but was then known as North Campbellfield to cause the subn
service to recommence this time with electric trains. The first TTs showed
trains only running a shift changeover times but gradually the service was
improved. Even as late as the mid 90's (I can't recall the actual date) every
second train only ran to Gowrie meaning that Upfield only enjoyed a 40' service.

> Of interest to those advocating a limited service between Newport and
> Sunshine, there was a daily train run between Newport and Brooklyn sometime
> in 1918 for the benefit of those workmen stacking wheat in Brooklyn. This
> should help in your presentation to the DOI...8^)

Any information regarding times and operation on this one?

David Langley.