Re: Web Dock Rail line

On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 21:55:34 +1000, David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
wrote:

>> >ie a Railway line having to be rebuilt to the same destination after having
>> >been pulled up .
>> >The only one I can think of is Lalor to Epping after the Whittilsea line
>> >closed,even then Im not sure whether the rails were pulled up.
>> >Any more ?
>
>Lalor - Epping is an example of a railway line being REOPENED not rebuilt. In
>railway history there is a difference in the implication of what you mean. A
>reopening generally requires a modicum of rebuilding but mostly because of the
>lack of maintenance during the closed period. The UFG - Belgrave is a rebuilt
>railway although you could argue that it is a new railway (the alignment is only
>generally along the ng alignment) and not a reopening to new gauge.

But, the original post said "after being pulled up".

>You could also mention Hastings to Stony Point. All the above lines closed due
>to lack of traffic and were later opened when circumstances permitted. North
>Melbourne - Essendon and Flemington RC closed because the private coy went bust
>and the govt did not wish to buy at the time. It later relented and the lines
>were reopened but I doubt that much rebuilding went on.

But, the tracks were not pulled up.  This was the original question.

DL's post was most interesting and informative, but didn't add a lot
to the original question.  How many lines have been reopened after the
tracks were lifted?

JD

John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html