Re: The stupidity of passengers.

John Dennis wrote:
As an occasional user of the Sydney trains, I am staggered at the
difficulty in boarding at the city stations (during peak hours)
*before* the whistles and "stand clear - doors closing" announcements.
At Town Hall most of the disembarking passengers aren't even off the
train before these signals are given.  Of course, double decker trains
*are* difficult to get large numbers of people off and on quickly, but
the timetables (or operating staff) don't seem to take this into
account.

And then of course, just as the train pulls out, we will hear "the
train on platform 5 goes to ....."   :-)

As an occasional user of Sydney trains and Melbourne trains, the announcements in Sydney have in the main been generally clear and concise, and usually in time for the train. As for Melbourne, for a while nowadays the announcements are better, the lady who used announce "Stand Clear Please Stand Clear" would be doing so as the train was well on its way to Richmond and the platform was empty.

Boarding trains in Sydney I have found to be little trouble although a quite common thing these days is for the travelling public on the platform to think that you board before the others alight.

Happy travelling.

p.s. As a former employee (in a maintenance dept) I think the Unions could do a lot for the employees but sometimes get as bloody minded as the managers they are fighting. The managers are only under instructions from on high to disrupt the flow and make the Unions look bad. Here in Vic, God took it upon himself to try and get rid of his three "favourite" Unions - Railways, Hospital Workers and Teachers. He hasn't succeeded.