Re: The stupidity of passengers.

>You cannot understand what it is like unless you have actually worked for the railways.  I get abused by
>everybody for just doing my job.  I have a timetable to maintain, but everybody thinks they have a right to make
>the train wait for them.  If you want to see people without brains, stand at Bondi Junction or Martin Place in
>the peak hour, and count the number of people who ignore "Stand Clear Doors Closing" and the subsequent
>whistles.  They also ignore the fact that the doors are closing and jump into the train, causing injury to
>themselves and other passengers.

As an occasional user of the Sydney trains, I am staggered at the
difficulty in boarding at the city stations (during peak hours)
*before* the whistles and "stand clear - doors closing" announcements.
At Town Hall most of the disembarking passengers aren't even off the
train before these signals are given.  Of course, double decker trains
*are* difficult to get large numbers of people off and on quickly, but
the timetables (or operating staff) don't seem to take this into
account.

And then of course, just as the train pulls out, we will hear "the
train on platform 5 goes to ....."   :-)

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html