Re: ARTC Vic Train Control

In article <79dgup$p9e$5@news.mel.aone.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: ARTC Vic Train Control
>Date: 5 Feb 1999 01:19:21 GMT

>Maurie Daly (mauried@commslab.gov.au) wrote:
>> Centrol will cease to exist when the successful Vline bidder is announced as
>> any new operator would want to provide their own train control.

>I thought Centrol was to be retained by VicTrack who will own the actual
>line. The new owner of V/Line Freight will just run trains, but will not
>be the only operator on the lines.

>Cheers
>David

My understanding is that  Victrack will own the country BG lines , but they
are leased for 15 years to who ever buys Vline freight, as distinct from the
new operator simply having running rights , ie the operation is being sold as
a Vertically integrated entity.This was not the original intention which was
to simply sell running rights, but the bidders indicated to the Vic Govt that
a much higher price would be achieved if the operation was sold as a
vertically integrated entity.

ie its the same deal that has been done in SA with ASR.
and the same deal as has been done with ARTC, ie Victrak still owns the SG
lines but ARTC is the lessee.

Does anyone have any more specific info?

MD